1) Projects: fully customized process and production procedures.
2) Job shops: Jumbled flow. Small quantities produced with a high variety of routings. Set up are common.
3) Disconnected flow lines (most common): batch process. Product batches are produced on a limited number of identifiable routings. Individual stations are not connected by a paced material handling system.
4) Connected flow lines: assembly line. Product is fabricated and assembled along a rigid routing connected by a paced material handling system.
5) Continuous flow processes. Continuous product flows automatically down a fixed routing.